People’s interest in freelancing is increasing day by day. There are many reasons behind this growing instancy. As many people have been caught in the trap of different stern rules of the office, so they want to go into a free profession. Again someone wants to come into the freelancing profession as a way of side hustle.
Freelancing is a profession where there are no specific rules. One can work independently. There is no income limit. Even a medium-skilled freelancer can earn several thousand dollars a month.
What is freelancing?
Freelancing is an independent profession. When a person works independently without having a permanent contract with an organization, he is a freelancer. Freelancers are self-employed, they like to work independently.
Different companies hire freelancers for a short period of time. For this they pay a certain amount of compensation to the freelancers. However, companies pay freelancers less than they pay full-time workers.
Who are the clients/buyers?
The people or organizations that hire freelancers are called clients / buyers. They post jobs on freelance websites with various requirements. Freelancers apply for those jobs.
What is a bid?
Bid is the process that a freelancer follows to apply for a job. It’s like a proposal. Here the freelancer prepares a proposal by adding job description, past experience, type of work, rate and more relevant information and sends it to the client. The client sees the specialties of the applied freelancers through the bidding process. He will choose the one he deems most deserving.
What details does a good bid include?
- First, address the employer correctly. That means address the employer by name.
- Write details about the project. This will allow the employer to understand that you are applying for the job knowing everything.
- Tell about your skills. Mention how relevant your skills are to this project.
- Emphasize that you are committed to completing the project on time.
- Write about your past work and upload portfolio.
- Apply accurately. Check the spelling and grammar errors then apply.
- If you have any questions about the project, just ask.
- Mention that you are very interested in doing the job and also mention that you are very aware of the frustration of the client.
The benefits of freelancing
- The biggest advantage of freelancing is the freedom to choose a job. You will easily find success in the work that you like to do.
- You can set your own remuneration.
- No specific space is required for freelancing. If you have a computer and net connection, you can earn money through freelancing from anywhere in the world.
- You can work when you want to do. There are no barriers like 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. office duty.
- As a freelancer, it is up to you to decide which person or organization you will work with.
Related Article: World’s 10 Best freelance marketplace in 2021
The drawbacks of freelancing
- If you want to do freelancing, you have to face huge competition. Because the number of freelancers is increasing day by day. So getting a job is much more challenging now.
- You may not always get the kind of job you are most good at.
- Since you have to work with different clients, so you have to face many challenges. Because the nature of each person is different. So it is very difficult to satisfy everyone.
- You may not get the job at the rate you want to work. Especially if you are new to the freelancing market you will not find job easily at your rate. Moreover, it is very difficult for newcomers to get a job by bidding.
Who can be a freelancer?
Freelancing is a profession where anyone can join. You do not need an academic certificate for this. If you have very good skills in any sphere then you can easily start working as a freelancer. Skill is your biggest qualification. It doesn’t matter if you have a great degree or are still in school.
To be a freelancer, you need to be proficient in English. Because English is an international language. Since your language is not understood by people in other countries, you need to communicate in English. If you can’t speak English then you can’t be very successful as a freelancer.
To be a freelancer you must have a computer and a high speed net connection. Slow net connection will interrupt your work and you may not be able to finish on time.
So it can be said that, if you know English, have a computer / laptop, good quality internet connection and are proficient in a particular job, then you too can become a freelancer.
How Much Money Can You Make From Freelancing?
It is difficult to say exactly how much you will make by freelancing. How you earn will depend on your work experience and skills. There is no fixed income limit.
According to Payoneer, the average freelancer works 36 hours a week and earns $21 an hour. They earn an average of $39,000 a year.
According to ZipRecruiter, a freelance writer in the United States earns an average of $ 63,488 a year. The average freelance writer earns $31 an hour.
A video editor can make 50$ to 150$ per hour.
Best Paying Freelance Jobs on Upwork – Breakdown
What type of work can I do by freelancing?
Here is a list of jobs that are usually posted in the freelancing marketplace:
- Web Development
- Software Development
- Freelance Writing
- Graphics Designing
- Mobile App Development
- Editing and Proofreading
- Angular JS/ WordPress
- Digital Marketing/Social Media Marketing
- Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Animations/Video Creation and Editing
- Sales and Business Development
- Data Entry/Virtual Assistant
- Administrative Assistant
- Project Management
- Audio Production
- Voice Talent
- UX/UI Design
- Content Writing
- Business Writing
- Product Management
- Game Development
- QA & Testing
- Business Analysis
- Management Consulting
- Tax Consulting
- Legal advisor
- Data Mining
- Data Analytics
- Data Extraction
- Deep Learning
- Machine Learning
- Lead Generation
- Public Relations
- Market Research
- Customer Service
- System Administration
- Database Administration
- Network Administration
- Interior Design
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Translation Jobs
How do I start freelancing?
Set your own goals
You need to set goals before you start freelancing. If you are an employee then you have to decide whether you will do full time freelancing or part time freelancing along with the job.
You need to decide in advance what sort of job you will do and how long you will work on it.
You should set your goals based on your skills, ability to work and experience.
Pick a Niche
You must select Niche before you lead off freelancing. This is a very crucial issue. There are different types of Niche, such as – content writing, web designing, freelance writing, graphics designing, SEO, wordPress, digital marketing etc. You should pick a niche in which you have expertise and experience.
You should not choose a Niche other in which you have very little knowledge and experience. Just think as a client, will you hire any callow person to complete your project? Of course you will not hire an inexperienced person. Because it can reduce your sales volume and you may face business losses.
Things to consider before selecting Niche –
- Choose a Niche in which you have the competence and experience. You have to be fully aware of the ongoing trends of this field.
- Select a Niche in which you have interest. This will encourage you to work.
- You need to check the market demand of your niche. If you choose something that is in low demand, you will not be able to earn much by freelancing.
Clearly define your service offerings
When a freelancer mentions his Service Offers on his profile, the client treats him as a professional. This will bestow you a chance to establish yourself as a brand. As a result you will easily find the type of client you are looking for.
Create a outstanding portfolio
Portfolio is a very momentous topic for freelancers. When you apply for a job at a client, the client may want to see a sample of your work. If the client is gratified with your past work, then you will get the job very easily.
One of the most effective methods is to create a blog in your own name. Then you will post on that blog with a description of your previous jobs. You have to highlights all relevant past experiences. This will make the blog a showcase of your expertise.
When you apply for the job to the client, attach the link of that blog to the application. Then out of the numerous applicants, your application will be the most suitable in the eyes of the client and he will become interested in you.
In addition to the blog you can follow another method. There are various sites that allow guest posts. If your article is published on a famous site like Entrepreneur or Investopedia , you can show it as a portfolio. This will make your position very strong when it comes to getting a job.
Skills are a big criterion for getting a job. You will see on freelancing sites that top freelancers work at much higher rates. They don’t do any job without high rates. Interestingly, even if a less skilled person wants to work at a lower rate, they don’t get the job easily, but top freelancers can smoothly get a job despite offer higher rate.
The big reason for this is that clients feel comfortable working with these expert people. They do not make mistakes frequently. They can complete the assigned project at the right time and submit it.
So I would say those who want to come into the world of freelancing put a lot of emphasis on improving skills.
Start freelancing before leaving your day job
There are many people who quit their day job as soon as they start freelancing. It is not quite right. Because it is not possible that you can make a lot of money as soon as you start freelancing.
It takes a lot of time to build a high-quality portfolio website, establish yourself as a brand and get used to freelancing. Moreover, it is very difficult to get a job in the beginning.
When you become experienced and start earning a good amount, you can think of quitting your day job. Here are some things to consider
- Can I live off freelancing?
- Is this the Right Career Path for me?
- Would it be safe to quit my day job right now?
- Will I always feel comfortable working from home?
- Has my experience been enough?
- Will there be a continuum of income in the future?
- Will I be able to handle the client?
- Do I have a plan B?
What are easy freelance jobs?
- Freelance Writing
- Editing and Proofreading
- Data Entry
- Web Development
- Video Creation and Editing
- Data Mining
- Customer Service
- Translation Jobs
How does freelancing work?
We already know that freelancing is a free profession. Do whatever you want. Freelancers contract with clients to do job. It can happen in two ways. One is that the client provides the task by contacting the freelancer directly. The other is that the client posts the job in the freelance marketplace and the freelancers apply to the client to get that job.
The client deals with whomever he deems fit. He provides a deadline to complete the project. The freelancer must complete the project within this time frame. In return the client pays the freelancer a certain amount. Payment is usually on an hourly or day or monthly basis. Along with the payments client also provides ratings on freelancers work that help freelancers get the next job.
How can I become a freelancer with no experience?
It is possible to be a freelancer without experience. But you have to endure a lot of pain to get the first job without experience. Because companies do not want to give jobs to inexperienced person. They always search experienced and successful freelancers. However, there are few clients who hire new freelancers to complete the project at a lower rate.
You may want to start a freelance career as a side hustle or full time career. Since you have no experience, you can follow some tips.
- Level up your Skills. Put your skills on the profile in a way that a client is satisfied with this.
- Create a blog. Regularly write about things that you are very good at. Write about who you are and what kind of service you are willing to provide.
- Write as a guest writer on popular websites. This will increase the weight of your portfolio.
- Keep in touch with other freelancers on a regular basis and lean on your network. Take the advice of experts.